Monday, July 27, 2009

I thought I had an answer...

First off, ignore all the posts before this one. Like I said, I thought I had an answer, but as the quote from "The Ghost and the Darkness", "Everyone has a plan until they've been hit." Well my friend, you've just been hit. The getting up is up to you."

Well, I thought I had a plan then I got hit. My plan was simple, be the only person in the world to abuse his body in every possible way and still live to be 100. Well, I fell short of that goal. As of 6 weeks tomorrow I had my 2nd heart attack. That's right, my 2nd. I didn't even know about my first, and here I go having a second one. S'funny how life works huh? So my original plan is now changed, as I now am working on just keeping myself alive.


While I was in the emergency room having my "procedure", here's what I found out:
1. I have 1 artery 100% blocked.
2. I had another artery 75% blocked.
3. My 3rd artery was fine.
4. I had a previous heart attack (with minimal damage luckily) in previous years.
5. If I would have ignored this one, the next one would have been fatal.
6. Last but not least, if I didn't change my ways I'd be dead in 6 months.

My procedure was very simple. They ran a lead from my femeral artery to my heart and injected dye to see what was going on. Once in there they did 2, yes "2" angioplasty procedures in one of the arteries. Then proceded to install 2 stents in the artery. In simple terms, I had a tuneup on my heart.

I also had some blood work done and it was not pretty. My tri-glicerides were over 400 (which is bad btw), my cholesterol was so bad it was off the charts, and my fats were way high as well. Nice huh? The hits just keep on coming (sigh).

So now I'm on a low sodium, low fat, low cholesterol diet, which means low flavor, actually that's a lie. I'm eating better now than I ever have. I also quit smoking (cold turkey, being in ICU will do that), and so far have lost 20 lbs. So in all fairness I can't complain. Other than the $200 a month in medications I'm on. Check this out, I'm on blood pressure, beta-blocker, cholesterol, fish-oil, a daily vitamin, blood thinner and I think that its for now ... sheesh.

Any way, this blog will change a bit as I will not only try to keep it up better, but I will use it to keep up on my daily status, how I feel, my weight and any good recipe's I find :)





1 comment:

Unknown said...

it's funny how life throws curve balls at you....I'm just glad that youre ok, and making the necessary changes. I'm glad to see you'll be around for a while longer bro.